It’s now become that time of year when your skin is as dry, hard, and as white as plaster. Your body craves vitamin D and your complexion really needs some added color so you at least look like you’re surviving winter and seeing a glimpse of the sun everyday. 🙄 No fear!! I completely relate to this and therefore have curated all of my tried and true tanning products and tips that will help you achieve that golden bronze or glow– if you’re going on vacation or not.
I’m not going to lie– exposing my body to the sun is one of my biggest faults. I am a self-confessed heliophiliac who never gets overheated and would spend every waking second soaking up the sun’s rays if I could. I just think that there’s something so positive, warming, and enlightening about the sunshine! It warms me down to the core and lifts my spirits immensely. However, I realize that this does come at a cost, which is why I try to protect myself as best as I can and self-tan whenever possible instead.
So bookmark this page for spring break or try out some of the self tanning products now in the meantime!! The best part is– the most expensive item listed is only $34! So if you haven’t been a self tanner before, you have nothing to lose. Get bronzing…
1. For the everyday tan: To maintain a natural tan or add some color to myself when I haven’t seen the sun in weeks, I use the L’Oreal sublime bronze tinted self-tanning lotion almost every day as part of my normal beauty routine. It has a little bit of sparkle too which looks gorgeous in the sun! *Tip: I mix this tanning lotion with a normal moisturizing lotion (like this one) to dilute it and eliminate streaks!
2. For the special occasion tan: If I have a big event coming up, like a formal or a fun weekend, I will usually spray tan myself or tan towel two nights before the event. I use the Neutrogena micro-mist sunless tanning spray or L’Oreal sublime bronze self tanning body towelettes— Here is the original version of them as well. With the spray I spray myself with two layers and it’s actually really easy if you concentrate and take your time. You could also have one of your girlfriends spray you too if you feel more confident having someone else do it (I do this to my friends all the time, ha). With the wipes, I just open the wipe all the way up and rub it in smooth circles all over my body. *Tip: I think tan towels kind of smell like cat pee (don’t ask), so I usually use them right before I go to bed, put on loose pajamas (like an oversized t-shirt), and then shower right away in the morning and moisturize after.
3. For a golden facial glow: I recently got the Benefit “Do the Hoola Beyond Bronze Kit” which includes liquid bronzer, hydrating lip stain, a mini “They’re Real” mascara, and golden lip gloss and bronzing powder. I brought this on my trip to Peter Island to try it all out and was blown away by every single product in the kit. It really does deliver on that sun-kissed dewy glow we all crave. *Tip: mix the liquid bronzer into your normal liquid foundation to give it a golden tint that will make the foundation darker to match your tan!
4. For protection in the sun: Everyone’s skin requires a different strength of sunscreen (I would consult your dermatologist or doctor about this), but I use this Neutrogena break-out free sunscreen on my face, Australian Gold continuous spray sunscreen (see the bronzer infused version here) all over my body, and Zinka SPF 30 lip balm on my lips. I apply all of this frequently and liberally, especially when I’m spending a lot of time in the water, and they’ve turned out to be my favorite sunscreen products. I used the Zinka lip balm when I would spend 8+ hours on the water when I sailed growing up, and I swear by it! There is nothing worse than peeling, burnt lips, and this lip balm protects them flawlessly. *Tip: The Australian Gold sunscreen smells like a coconut dream so it doubles as a body spray! 🙂
5. For hydration post-beach day: After a day on the beach or hanging out beneath the sun, I use this Sun Bum after-sun lotion which is soothing and moisturizing without feeling like jelly like Aloe does, or too heavy on your burnt skin. The added bonus is that it smells like a banana daiquiri. I also use the fresh lotus youth preserve face cream every night all over my face and neck! Never too early to start the anti-aging products… ha! *Tip: The Sun Bum is the perfect lotion to use with tanning lotion for a post-sun aloe moisturizer and a tan booster!
I hope these tips leave you sun-kissed and glowing!! Let me know if you have any questions at all about any of the products or processes I use ☀️